The truth about white wine – Rías Baixas gets a 99% approval rating!
VinePair sheds light on how we really feel about white wines. Are they just for warm weather or do we drink them year-round? What do we like most about white wines? And with so many great whites to choose from which wines stand apart from the pack? 1,000 wine-savvy VinePair readers ranging in age from millennials to boomers participated in a survey commissioned by DO Rías Baixas.
- We drink white wines all year – and it turns out we drink quite a lot of them. So what if it’s cold outside! 79% of readers drink white wine year-round, and multiple times monthly.
- What we like about white wines. An overwhelming 85% of VinePair respondents reported that white wine is “refreshing and easy to drink.” 59% cited that “white wine pairs well with food,” while half of those surveyed noted that they “love drinking it on its own,” and that “it doesn’t taste heavy.”
- We’re willing to spend for the right bottle of white wine. Given the strong preferences expressed for white wines, it’s not surprising that readers will spend a little extra. 85% of those surveyed spend at least $10-$15 per bottle, with 26% spending up to $15-$20 on average.
- We’re “worldly” and adventurous in our choices. Sauvignon Blanc was the top choice for readers in ranking their favorite white grape variety, but Pinot Grigio, Riesling, Albariño, Viognier, Chardonnay and Chenin Blanc were all comparably ranked.
- A white wine from Spain can get a 99% approval rating! Over two-thirds of those polled had tried Albariño from Rías Baixas, and of that number 95% “loved it” (40%) or “liked it” (55%). Overall, 99% of readers “approved” of Albariño from Rías Baixas, ranking it high in popularity with other world-class whites.
Visit VinePair to learn more!