This Valentine’s Day, take your Valentine on a trip to Spain by bringing a bit of Rias Baixas to your table! Get ready for a tapas hands-on cooking experience with your date. Here are some pairings to enjoy and make this romantic day feel like you’re abroad.
Get prepping and cooking!
While you’re starting, pop open a bottle from the Val do Salnes subregion, these are our picks:
- If you enjoy more stone fruit in your Albarino try the Granbazan Etiqueta Ambar.
- Looking for something creamier? Check out the Pazo Senorans.
- And if you’re in the mood for a classic – pour some Martin Codax.
These traditional Galician tapas are easier to make than you think! We like this recipe from The Spruce Eats with very detailed steps making the process less intimidating. Plus it offers options for both tuna and meat fillings! Try wines from Condado do Tea for this pairing!
- If you go the meat route open a bottle of Fillaboa.
- For tuna empanadas enjoy a glass of Leira from Pazo Pondal.
Gambas al Ajillo
Reward yourself for making tapas with some Gambas al Ajillo! Try this recipe from Food & Wine (ready in 30 minutes!) and pair it with a wine from O Rosal. Try a blend from this subregion like the Altos de Torona O Rosal or the Terras Gauda.
Quesada Gallega/Tarta de Requeson
End the night on a sweet note! This is Galicia’s own version of a cheesecake using requeson (cheese curds, similar to cottage cheese). While there are many recipes to try they are in Spanish but here’s a very similar recipe from Saveur.